Libel and slander both require the allegation to be false. If I call you a drunk and can prove it, perhaps with that photo you did not want me to take, then there is no slander involved.

There is no question that we can legally take a photo of anything in public view from public property (there are some restrictions on how we can use those photos) unless it has to do with national security, at least in english speaking countries. Now whether doing so is ethical, courteous, or moral is debatable, the legality is not.

--

William Robb wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Larson"
Subject: Re: The morality of taking a photograph

I`m with Bob. If you`re in public, you take your chances.

If you take and publish a picture that shows a person in a less than
flattering way, you might find yourself in court on defamation charges.
People have rights to control how they are are portrayed by others. Its why
we have libel and slander laws.
Transgress those rights at your own peril.
In the case of Shel's pictures, were she to find that he had published that
image (he did), and she found the depiction to cause her discomfort, she
would have every right to take Shel to task.
Since the picture was taken in a society known for frivolous litigations
being successful, she would probably win.

William Robb

-- graywolf http://graywolfphoto.com

"You might as well accept people as they are,
you are not going to be able to change them anyway."