I disagree, i think you can and should compare the digital sensor size with other formats. Its often a neccesary so as to descide which tool to use for a job.

William Robb wrote:

Try using a 105mm lens on a 6x7, or a 150mm lens on a 4x5.
You can't compare APS format digital to 35mm that way.
It's a different format, with some advantages and some disadvantages.

I find that with 6x7, I can't secure sufficient depth of field to do the
type of landscape work I do, and I can't secure fine enough grain and
sufficient detail to get the results I like.
Yet I can secure sufficient depth of field and get the grain/resolution I
like with 4x5 inch.
William Robb