Since this is a Windows "how to work" file, why is it necessarily
associated with virii?
I know I'm missing something here, but it has always seemed to me that a
.pif file, by itself, is not an indicator of the presence of a virus.
Are .pif files carriers of viruses? What?

keith

Not being a virologist myself, I am guessing that the pif file may tell windows something that it should not. If it executes a procedure that you don't want it acts as a virus.

PIF does not always mean VIRUS. Just as EXE does not always mean trouble. BUT IT MAY. I know that a few of the last attempts to penetrate were done by a PIF file.

While you can expect your friends to send you *.doc, *.jpg or *.mp3 files, it is less likely they will suddenly, unannounced send you a PIF file, hence suspicion!

Some info on one of them (the first one):
http://www.viruslibrary.com/virusinfo/I-Worm.PIF.Fable.htm

Robert
[EMAIL PROTECTED]