For your project, you need a color test chart, or anything that can be used
as a true baseline, and have that in a picture at the begining of every
session or roll.
Then have one of those charts available for anyone wanting to produce an
image in the future and they'll make your red the red they was there!  In
theory.
Uncompressed TIF, but zip up your files possibly - external compression.

At 01:05 PM 3/17/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>Back to the list after a few years of absence. I apologize if I've already
missed a similar discussion.

>I've recently been interested in digitizing my photographic process. I'm
sticking with E-6, but every slide I make I get scanned. The web-site
www.josephholmes.com gave me a bit of inspiration in to what digital imaging
can mean to the photographic process: overcoming, or at least managing, the
limitations and variations that are introduced when we try to represent the
natural world in print form or on the web.

>This self imposed term paper I've been doing on the web has led to more
questions than answers. I came back here to get a consensus I have relied
upon in the past. Here are my questions:

>1) Which file format, in what type of compression, in what color space (or
photometric interpretation) is the best for archiving and printing (not web
use)?

>My feeling so far is that GIF is out b/c it is limited to 256 colors; JPEG
(which is actually a compression not a format) is out because the
compression is "lossy"; TIFF seems to be the winner. Are there there viable
options to consider. Should the TIFFs be compressed in a particular way, or
uncompressed? Which way? Should the file be in RGB, CMKY, XYZ, L*a*b*, or
other. I know RGB is good for monitors, CMYK is good for printers, and
L*a*b* has its advantages too, but what should be the bread and butter?

>2) Could someone explain the "Color Management" process. Does this process
change the information in a file, or does it merely alter it during the data
process to change it for a specific use. Ex- if I have a color profile for
my scanner, does it alter the raw data coming in, or provide a means of
interpreting that data? Similarly, if I changed a color profile for an image
in photoshop one day, and then changed it back to the original later, would
the result be different from the original? And lastly, is color management
based on a standard palette that all profiles look to as a baseline, or does
the process happen in the absence of a standard? how?