"Don Sanderson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Don't think it's rude at all, just the way eBay works.

Not so much the way eBay works as the way human nature works. If
everyone did the sensible thing and just bid the maximum amount they
were *really* willing to pay, there would be no need for, or advantage
to, sniping. But what happens in real life is that someone bids a
specific maximum, *hoping* to win the auction for that amount. They when
this person is outbid he/she thinks "well, I guess I'm *really* willing
to spend a bit more..." and submits a second bid for a higher amount.
This can happen several times (especially if there's more than one of
these indecisive types involved in the bidding). Sniping prevents these
people from ratcheting up the auction price gradually.

--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing