Thanks for sharing your thoughts Ryan.

I too have toyed with the idea of going over to the dark side. Oddly
enough, what's stopped me from doing so has been the relative size and
weight differences between Pentax and Canon offerings. Any of the
unfortunate souls who accompanied me on my "short, easy" hike on
Grandfather Mountain this year will tell you how and where I like to do
my photography :) Only when I'm traveling alone I like to do it as a
faster pace and hauling *more* gear (not photographic - I mean tent,
sleeping bag, etc.) The small size and weight of the ist-D is absolutely
perfect for my use. I may add the battery grip at some later time for
other situations, but it's not a priority now.

When Canon announced the 1D-II I was sorely tempted. 8 megapixels is
very attractive and I'd settle for the 1.3x FOV crop over full-frame,
considering the price difference. But thing's simply too enormous for me
to even consider it. This may change in the future and my decision may
change, too.

I suspect we'll have a race: Will Canon bring down the size of their
camera first or will Pentax bring up the size of their sensor in time?

If Canon produces a 1.3x FOV crop camera of reasonable size and weight
before Pentax produces a camera close to ist-D size with a 1.3x FOV
crop, I'll probably make the switch. I have no doubt that Canon can win
this race... *if* they want to. I just don't know if they really want
to; there's a sizeable market amongst people who are much more impressed
by large cameras, regardless of their other qualities.

As always, the future is obscure! For now, I'm delighted with my ist-D.
It really is better suited to my needs than any other DSLR available
from any manufacturer.

--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing