keithw wrote:

I disagree with that. If the cop is violating someones rights without probable cause then the victim should point out that the cop is commiting a criminal act.

Point it out to whom? The cop perpetrating the act? Hardly...

Yes to the cop. Civil rights are meaningless if we willingly relinquish them. Cops are <expletive deleted> and I don't recommend belligerence with them but I believe it's wrong to permit searches etc when the cop doesn't have probable cause. If he searches anyway then it is incumbent upon us as citizens to point out that they are commiting an illegal act.

Are you going to ask the cop his badge number and write it down in front of him? If you're blessed with good eyesight, and you can both see the number and remember it, then you're faced with another dilemma.
Who's the right person in the department to tell?

you tell an attorney and begin a civil lawsuit.

Tom Reese