Sorry for putting words into your mouth. ...I just was trying to summarize, and really meant to lend credance to your point of view. I can't argue the size issue; the 20-35 is more pleasant to handle for that reason, and that's why I miss it. The 16-45 fits in my small camera bag along with a 50mm f/1.4, a 135mm f/2.8, or a 28-105 f/3.2-4.5 and an AF330FTZ... all without hoods except the 135 which has an internal hood. So though it's a little heavier, I find it just about as convenient.

My small bag is medium fanny-pack size.