You probably can photograph, Glen. In Denmark you could.
Weather you publish these on you own website or in a newspaper is not
important. The same rules apply as long as they are published.

But:
You can't legally publish the photographs in a way that would be offensive
to the persons shown in the picture, even though the pictures are legally
aquired.
You can't use the photographs for commercial purposes (you can sell them but
not use them in advertising with out the permission of the persons in the
photgraph).
Photographing minors may require a permission from the parents.
You can't use the photographs "out of context" - for instance for an article
about "funny make-up" or alcoholics - things like that.
If a person signals, that he/she do not want to be photographed, you may
have a problem. I am not quit sure if this only applies to a person in a
private, but still public accessible place - like in a store, petrolstation,
public service office etc.
Sometimes et helps to have a press-card or similar, since the legislation in
many countries protects the rights of the media, rather than of the
photographer.

PS:
Aquiring a photgraph illegally is an offence/theft/violation of the law.
Selling/publishing an illegally aquired photograph is fencing - like selling
stolen goods.

I have my information from the Danish Journalist Union website. The current
legislation may vary from one country to annother.

I hope this helps.

Jens Bladt
Arkitekt MAA
http://hjem.get2net.dk/bladt