BTW, I have exactly the same problem you are discussing when bird shooting. The place you'll likely find many birds are in natural areas with bodies of water. I'm separated from the subjects by 10 - 50 meters at my favorite birding location. My longest lens is 500, and I have yet to get a satisfactory shot. At those distances the bird just fills the the spot meter circle in the viewfinder. Cropping inevitably renders an image that is too grainy/noisy.

The only solution is really lenses with more reach, or getting closer. I'm considering using some telescopic lenses (camera on the telescope) to see how it works.

Tom C.

From: Tim Øsleby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
Subject: RE: Composing on screen vs. in viewfinder. Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 13:39:05 +0200

List. You are not responding to my question, you are simply burping gas.
Helicopter is out of the question ;-)

My question was something like this. How do I become better at cropping at
computer? I tried to analyze the situation a bit, but the question was as
simple as that.

Tim
Mostly harmless (just plain Norwegian)

Never underestimate the power of stupidity in large crowds
(Very freely after Arthur C. Clarke, or some other clever guy)