The SMC Pentax- A 400/5.6 can sometimes be had for as little as $300. $400 to $450 is a more typical price. There are also M and K versions of the Pentax lens (SMC Pentax-M 400/5.6 and SMC Pentax 400/5.6), but neither will focus close enough for bird photography without the addition of an extension tube. However, I used a K version for quite a while with a short extension tube, and it was a workable solution. Both the K and M can be had for $300 or slightly less. The A is by far the best choice here though, due both to its close focus (2.8 meters), and it's ability to take advantage of all of the *istD (S, S2, L) metering functions. I'm not up to speed on the Tokina prices or specs.
Paul