On Jul 7, 2006, at 7:32 AM, Bob W wrote:

> It's a very interesting process - you don't even need a calibrated
> monitor, or a colour monitor even. Just by picking the brightest white
> where you want to hold detail, and the darkest black ditto, then
> setting them to some combination of CMYK (in the article, but later he
> shows it with RGB apparently - I don't have the book yet) you should
> be able to make everything else fall into its rightful place,
> colourifically.

This is basically the technique I use when processing my scans.  I
use the numbers to set both the white & black points to be as neutral
as possible, at a certain brightness level.  Most of the time that's
all the colour correction I need to do, but sometimes I need to make
a few more adjustments.  This shouldn't be followed religiously: last
night I was working on some more sunsets and found that the shadows
really did need to be slightly redder than neutral.

Sometimes I'll encounter a pic that doesn't have black and/or white
points.  These ones are usually quite easy for me as minor casts
don't seem to be as noticeable if there's nothing neutral, so I'll
just look at the slide on the light box (one reason why I hate
scanning negs!) and adjust from there.  If it all turns to custard,
just convert to B&W :)

I could waffle on a bit more, but it's nearly dinnertime...

- Dave