Yesterday I looked again at the location.  It turns out there are a
bunch of dead trees poking up in the middle of this pond (created by
beavers).  Those dead trees have no foliage or small branches on them.
The pattern of their bark is what you are seeing in the reflection.
For me, knowing it is bark reflection I am seeing, makes it feel a
little better.  In any event, when the subject is surrounded by water,
you get whatever reflects in the water for the background.

Sorry to make you ill <grin>.

--
Best regards,
Bruce