Evan Hanson wrote:

>My experience is more in line with what WR said.  A great optical
>print beats even a drum scan.

I have found just the opposite to be true: I've rarely seen an optical
print that can compare to a well-done scan and print. Oh, certainly the
*resolution* and fine detail will be better on the optical print (at
least at large sizes). But that is, IMO, a very superficial way of
evaluating print quality. The control you get from levels and curves
adjustment is just an overwhelming advantage for digital output.

In fact, my dissatisfaction with optical printing is what got me
started into digital image technology long before digital cameras of
reasonable quality were available for less than five-figure prices.