Bruce, I did these in about 10 minutes. I had 10  minutes to spare. :-)

I will take them down once I know you have seen  them.

Some people are going to tell you to go with a straight B&W  conversion. But
in this case, I think you are right, it needs to be punched  up.

http://members.aol.com/eactivist/try1.jpg
B&W conversion, with  less red to gray it  down

http://members.aol.com/eactivist/try2.jpg
above version but now  with brightness up to +35 and contrast up to  +49

http://members.aol.com/eactivist/try3.jpg
above version,  "posterized", level 2

All done in Elements 5. Only the last is really  "artified," the previous are
just playing with conversions and  brightness/contrast.

I, personally, like #2, and think you ought to aim  somewhere in there. A B&W
but with brightness/contrast pumped up to  eliminate a lot of the grays while
keeping the darker grays and B&W. Only  thing is you have to gray it down
first so you don't lose all detail.

Either this is annoying or helpful. Hope the second.

Later,  Marnie aka Doe  ;-)

Warning: I am now  filtering my email, so you may be censored.