Thanks to all who responded to my original posting regarding lighting on a
budget!

To show my ignorance I'll admit that I didn't realize you could use an
"on-camera" electronic flash as an "off-camera" flash so I come back to you
with a question of whether this is possible or not with my current flash.  I
have a ProMaster FTD 7000m (http://www.promaster.com).  For those who don't
want to take the time to look at the site I'll provide the basic specs off
the site:

Guide Number: 138 (100 ISO)
*    TTL Auto Range: 2-99' (100 ISO)
*    Power Source: 4 AA Alkaline Batteries
*    Recycle Time: 0.3-10 Seconds
*    Motorized Zoom - 24mm-105mm
*    AF Illuminator for Autofocusing
*    Bounce Angle: -7° to 90°
*    Full TTL Dedication
*    Swivel Angle: 0° to 180°
*    Front & Rear Flash Ready Light
*    Flash Modes: TTL Auto, Manual, Multiple,
*    Multifunction LCD Display Panel Modeling, Slave/Remote

Now the Slave/Remote is not the normal cable connection.  It came with a
little stand that allows me to stand it off to the side and when using a my
ZX-5n's built in flash it will sense when it goes off and then go off.

Do any of you think it would be possible to set up this flash with a
homemade softbox or even a photo umbrella?  Meaning, could I have the
Promaster flash close to my subject (wife, kids) swivel it 180 degrees and
and then have it just go off by reading my ZX-5n's flash?  For now I'd
probably be using just my Pentax 80-200 until I can afford a faster lens.
If you think it is possible I'd be curious as to which film you would
recommend.  I just received my order of Portra 160 and would like to use
this if possible.

On another note, if I'm using just normal lighting (i.e. lamps) do I need a
special filter like an 80a when using color film (e.g. - Kodak Portra 160,
Royal Gold 400)?

thanks again to all of you!

Delano