Hi Peter

I would agree with much of what David M says.  Be warned we are in
mid-autumn here and it will be cool/mild at best cold at worst, so
bring warm clothes.  I wouldn't necessarily avoid Rotorua - yes a
tourist trap in some ways but some spectacular geothermal features,
and it's all laid out on a plate.  I would certainly want to temper it
with some more out of the way experience - like a farm stay on a high
country station in the South Island.  Queensland is also extremely
touristy but it will be quiet at the end of May - cold but not cold
enough for skiing yet.

Not sure I would recommend getting lenses here - very limited choice
at Photo & Video (http://www.photo.co.nz/newprods/newpent_lens.htm)
which as David says is the best bet for Christchurch and is probably
typical of the best camera shops here.  A $NZ is worth about 0.55 Euro
so you can do the math for the prices at P & V.  No problem getting
slide film here but maybe not all that cheap.

I would also endorse Budget - prices are quite reasonable.  Definitely
don't need an SUV - and we don't need to encourage anymore on the road
either - much better off in a car.  Chances of seeing a kiwi in the
wild - well you might have better chance with the old state lottery -
used to be called Golden Kiwi!  You will have to visit a kiwihouse and
be content with seeing a captive bird I am afraid.  Good wine and
wineries in several parts of the country - Central Otago, North
Canterbury, Marlborough, Martinborough, Hawkes Bay are the best bets.
You can buy from direct from the winery in all these places (of course
you just get there lables but they will give you a tasting first).
Can give you some names of good places to visit if you would like.

Happy to meet up if it suits your itinerary - Palmerston North is not
exactly on the tourist trail however.

Alastair