Thanks, Paul. Two dimensional perspectives can be tricky. The poppies are
actually on a flat plain and the oak studded grassy area behind are is a rising
hillside.
I did a little Googling about poppies and didn't find exactly what I was
looking for.
My initial guess was that they are annuals that re-seed themselves. I've never
seen an area which repeated its distribution from year to year. Always seem to
migrate and are somehow/someway/somewhere marginally different every season. I
did read, however, that they can be grown in all regions. Considered perennials
in warmer regions of California and annuals in colder climes.
Hope this worth reading.

Jack