On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:43 AM, Mark Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip>
> I think he inadvertently summed it up with this: "The Leica M3 of the
> 1950's was an instant success, not because Leica held to quaint design
> and outdated technology (i.e. the M8's removable bottom plate) in a
> misplaced effort to attract classicists, but because they used new
> technology to build a camera that was on the cutting edge of its time."
>
> Leica isn't building cameras for him, the real photojournalist, but for
> "classicists", the kind of Leicaphiles who now constitute the majority
> of their customer base.

I thought exactly the same as you.  It's amazing that one can buy
virtually any consumer/entry-level dslr that outperforms the Leica at
1/20th the price.

It's moot anyway, but when I'm ready to go digital rangefinder, I
guess it'll be an Epson.  Or does Voigtlander have theirs out yet?  I
haven't been paying attention...

Pity that Leica has fallen so far so quickly.

cheers,
frank

--
"Sharpness is a bourgeois concept." -Henri Cartier-Bresson