> I'm kinda surprised that this combat photojournalist would consider
> an M8 as appropriate to his field work after using a loaner. I could
> tell immediately from fooling with it at the store that it fits in
> the class of use that the K10D and L1 fit in, not the kind of bash
> around rugged piece that the E-1/E-3, Canon 1D II, or Nikon D3 were
> designed to be.
>
> Godfrey

The author ///wanted/// the M8 to be the right camera for the task because
it's predecessors were classic combat cameras whose profiles defined the
breed. So he forgave it many faults before finally damning it.  And still,
he and his professional colleagues await the "professional axe" that the M8
should be, but clearly isn't.  He needs a discreet tough camera with good
manners in the field.  He doesn't want the OlyNikCanSon concept of TotL
(nice acronym) where getting toughness also means getting a dangerously
conspicuous and overfeatured (for his needs) behemoth of a camera.  TotL for
Leica once was synonymous with togh and discreet, but how discreet is a
camera that will light up its rear LCD in the middle of a perilous night
patrol, just because it got jostled?

So he needs to tape up the controls to prevent them getting altered by
jostling?  That's nothing new, wedding guys have long taped shutter dials
onto the x-synch value for their camera, or filled M-synch sockets with
epoxy cement to prevent them being selected.  An old boss once warned me
that, in days past, press photographers would routinely fiddle with the
camera settings of their rival newspapers' photographers.  Some teachers at
my old photography school would twist dials and turn knobs on any studio
setup they saw unattended.  It was a hard lesson to return from loading film
to find your work undone, worse still if it went undiscovered until the film
came out of the fixer a half hour later.  So it became routine to protect
your gear and frequently check its settings.  This guy has forgotten how to
check settings.

OTOH I got the impression that this guy leans too heavily on technology.  So
he needs to set up the white balance and not use auto WB universally.
Annoying but not really deal-breaking.  So he finds the auto exposure
erratic.  IMO that's a legacy of the Leica's design, as it doesn't have a
reflex focusing screen to aim its meter cells onto, neither does it get its
exposure values from a live CCD display as DSLR-like bridge cameras do.
This photographer should understand that and get over it, then modify his
style to accommodate it, if he wants to use autoexposure that is.  Or he can
just work as sports and news traditionally did, precalculate his exposure,
and precalculate any ad hoc variations like the shady end of the street gets
+2 stops, or the pool of light outside that window gets -3 stops.

Or he can go back to his Canon and quit whinging until Leica either goes
bust or delivers the camera he wants.

Regards,
Anthony Farr