On Jun 12, 2008, at 12:37 PM, frank theriault wrote:

> Well, whether it was designed to be a war photographer's tool or not,
> it's low-light capabilities are shocking, and rather sad given Leica's
> legacy of lenses such as the Noctilux.
>
> It sounds like it's just a horrible camera at virtually any price, let
> alone $10K.

The M8 may indeed have its limitations, but to call it a "horrible
camera at virtually any price" is way overboard. Not having had one
to work with, I'll reserve judgement on the M8's low light
capabilities. I have seen low light work done with one that looked
very good, however.

It's worth nothing that both the Olympus E-1 and Panasonic L1 bodies,
which are often disparaged for high ISO noise, etc, I find to be
surprisingly good at low light work. It's at the point where I simply
do not believe any opinions offered on the net on this subject as
credible: I prefer to judge only after I've worked with and evaluated
the equipment myself.

Godfrey