----- Original Message -----
From: "Kent Gittings" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2001 11:42 AM
Subject: RE: OT: SUV's - was: Illegal Street Photography?

> Tailgating is sometimes relative. In my case I know exactly
what my reflex
> time is (uncommonly short) and from racing on an other car's
bumper at up to
> 140 MPH I've learned how to predict a driver's response based
on how they
> are driving. On the other hand I never get closer than I know
I and my
> particular vehicle can respond to an emergency. I also don't
look at the
> vehicle in front unless we are alone but instead look sort of
through it to
> vehicles in front of that. Plus I always unconsciously look
around for
> escape avenues just in case. This has saved me more than once
in a car or on
> a motorcycle.
> Kent Gittings

Probably better still to observe the 2 second rule. I have an
annoying habit of testing tailgaters reflexes. If you think you
may be putting yourself in a position where the escape route is
going to be needed, why not just back off?
The person ahead whose nerves you are fraying will thank you for
it.
L8R
Bill