Very interesting pic, Toine.
After 20 minutes of goofing around with google, I also vote against
Varroa, based on general body shape. The mites (i'm pretty sure
they're mites anyway) are longer than they are broad. The Varroa
isn't, except for some very early development stages.

Could it be that "your" mites are just associated with the bees rather
than direct parasites?

The closest match I could find was a "pollen mite", hitching a ride
with a Mason Bee.
http://blueberrytalk.wordpress.com/2008/05/05/mason-bees-and-pollen-mites/

There's some more information on this mite here:
http://insects.ummz.lsa.umich.edu/beemites/Species_Accounts/Melittiphis.htm

On the same site there's also information about another scavenging
mite that might inhabit honey bee colonies:
http://insects.ummz.lsa.umich.edu/beemites/species_accounts/Pneumolaelaps.htm
But I can't find any image of these relating the size to a bee, or
even a bumblebee. :-(

Jostein

--
http://www.alunfoto.no/galleri/