On Jan 14, 2010, at 12:43 AM, Derby Chang wrote:

Very very late on this, but despite the naysayers, I've had pretty good experience with half a dozen Sigma EX lenses. The 20/1.8 is my favourite widey for gig shots (have a PDML Book submission taken with it), and I'd say the 24/1.8 is a tad more useful than the FA24/2. May just be luck, but in extreme lighting, the Sig 24 is sharper, has less PP, and focuses slightly closer.

About a month ago, I picked up a Sigma 20/1.8. In most respects, I really liked the lens. Unfortunately, something about the manual focus felt very lumpy. I mentioned this problem on the list. I talked with Sigma, decided that I'd send it in for repair, but after the holidays. The lens worked, it was just a bit unpleasant to use.

This week I was going to pack it up to ship it off to Sigma. While I was writing the letter describing the problems, I realized that the mysterious lumpiness had gone away. I don't know what the problem was, maybe a lump of grease on one of the gears, but it seems to have solved itself.

Over all, I'm very happy with the lens. Here's a set that I shot tonight with it:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=177374&id=653299672&l=90b4340ed6
Band at ISO 400-640, dancers at 3200, all manual focus, manual exposure (1/10-1/25 sec at f/1.8)

The focus still feels like a cheap kit lens, but it's reasonably sharp, and it's fast enough for my uses.