I've shot alot in the rain & snow, mostly from a tripod and I've always protected it as much as possible with a towel or my b-ball cap, never had an issue with any of them - PZ, PZ-1P, MZ-S, *istD, K10D or K20D., 28-80 F, 70-210F, 300 f4.5 FA, 600 FA.

I wouldn't consider any device like a camera body (except a Nikonos) or lens to be impervious to damage from moisture.

Kenneth Waller
http://www.tinyurl.com/272u2f

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom C" <caka...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: PESO - Snowproofed

I've used my PZ-1p and *ist D NON-WEATHER SEALED cameras in rain and
snow conditions numerous times where after shooting I needed to dry
the camera with a towel and never had a problem.

It would be interesting to know just how long one of these
weather-sealed bodies would last in a controlled test.

I'm inclined to believe, that the "weather resistant" claims are more
a sales pitch, than a true feature that can be counted on and pressed
to any degree.  Jostein's camera could very well fail the next time he
uses it in exactly the same conditions as it successfully operated in
before.

Interestingly, my cheapee Timex watch states on the back 'Water resistant to 100m'

It's like when I purchase a pair of pants.  If the product has a claim
of "Resists wrinkles", that really means "It wrinkles", because all
fabrics RESIST wrinkling.  When it says "Wrinkle-free or no ironing"
then I find it pretty much to be true.  But even then...

So I interpret the claim of "weather resistant" to mean "It leaks".

Obviously the claim on the Pentax website is exaggerated.  It reads:

Weather, dust and cold resistant
The K-7 is weather, dust and cold resistant (to 14° F or -10° C),
making it ideal for use in any environment.

I know it has umpty-ump seals and so forth, but all cameras are
weather, dust and cold resistant because they're solid objects and
99+% of the body is impervious to water..  Water always follows the
course of least resistance and typically that is down and off.
Electronics and mechanisms tend to keep working UNTIL they are
overcome by the temperature.

The claim of "any environment" is the exaggeration.  If one goes below
-10C, what about that environment, or what about extremely hot
conditions?

Waterproof and weather resistant are obviously two different things.

My 2 cents. Given all that I'd be disappointed in the failure as well,
as expectations that were set by the manufacturers claims were not
met.

Tom