On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 2:43 PM, Tim Bray <tb...@textuality.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 11:07 AM, Tom C <caka...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The claim of "any environment" is the exaggeration.  If one goes below
>> -10C, what about that environment, or what about extremely hot
>> conditions?
>
> As I've mentioned here, I visit Saskatchewan every winter and always
> try to do a photowalk.  I've taken tons of pictures with both my
> *ist-D and K20 at temperatures like -35°C and never had any trouble.
> Normally, electronic circuits work just fine at arbitrarily cold
> temperatures (not necessarily when they get too hot), so I'm wondering
> if there are mechanical issues that could come into play at very cold
> temperatures.  Otherwise, why would they provide a low-temperature
> threshold?  -T

Actually cold can affect electronics just as much as heat can.
Semiconductors change behaviour with temperature and can behave
unpredictably if their operating range is exceeded in either
direction. It's not good if your semiconductors quit semiconducting.

The major difference is that cold generally does not have long-term
effects on the electronics, while heat can actually damage them
permanently.

--
M. Adam Maas
http://www.mawz.ca