Adam Maas wrote:
On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 8:25 AM, Drew <d...@rileyelf.free-online.co.uk> wrote:
David J Brooks wrote:
On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 5:13 AM, Bob W <p...@web-options.com> wrote:

I have in my garage a 1973 Raleigh ten speed bike, with the
cool curled over handle bars and duel brake thingies, that
has not been used for at least 20 plus years. The tires have
just about rotten off, the cables are a bit ceased and dusty.

Worth getting it "tuned up"??

I currently ride a 1990 Norco 21 speed mountain bike

Probably worth doing it up yourself rather than paying someone else to do
it.

Bob

How hard is it to change a bike tire. I have never done this my self.

Dave

Dead easy...   get a tyre kit change from Halfords and follow the
instructions.   Just be careful, a 70's Raleigh will probably be 27" wheels,
you may have to go to a 'proper' bike shop to get them. the big sheds only
stock 26" ATB tyres or modern 700c racer tyres.

Drew.

It's sorta hard to find a Halford's around here ;-).

Crappy Tire is a better bet, and they often have 27" tires and tubes.

-Adam

In that case you could always try the old technique... use two or three table spoon handles (the old rounded style) as tyre levers. My mum used to half kill me when I 'borrowed' her spoons to change the tyres on my Grifter.

Drew.