On Jan 27, 2010, at 9:17 AM, Doug Franklin wrote:

On 2010-01-27 3:44, mike wilson wrote:

Small amounts of water in the sump, running around at the bottom
of the pan with some slight emulsifying, is normal in even heavily
used motors - I have never known that be removed by the apochryphal
Italian tune-up.

The water is the excuse for an "Italian tune up", not the reason. :-) Others include "carbon on the valves" and the ever popular "carbon on the spark plugs".

The emulsified water in the bottom of the pan isn't substantially reduced at high temperature, but condensation that forms inside the engine when it's shut down will evaporate if the engine comes up to full operating temperature and remains there for a while. Repeated short trips that never get the temperature up will cause more water to accumulate. I've seen huge amounts of oil pan water accumulation in vehicles that were operated without a thermostat in the cooling system.
Paul
--
Thanks,
DougF (KG4LMZ)