From: eckinator
2010/1/27 Ken Waller <kwal...@peoplepc.com>:
> My understanding was that air cooling was limiting engine output - heat
> dissapation.

well air cools just like water - the more you move it the better it
cools - you need good airflow, good oil flow, i.e. massive oil pump,
large oil cooler surface, good case material with proper cooling fins
and so on - the 993 was good proof that it can be done =)

I think they all made the move because water cooling is cheaper for
the same thermal waste output

I may be wrong ... won't be the first time ... even in this thread ...
but I understood the reason for the change to water cooling was to make it easier for them to implement exhaust emissions controls, or less costly to do.

Didn't the EU enact exhaust emissions standards even stricter than the US when they finally got around to it?