On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 1:06 PM, Ken Waller <kwal...@peoplepc.com> wrote:
>> Of course, with a K10D and a macro lens capable of 1:2 magnification,
>> you can set up a copystand rig that is both fast and produces 10Mpixel
>> images.
>
> I've had very good results copying prints with my K20D. The only downside
> has been the time for setup - getting things perpendicular, adjusting the
> tripod for the proper distance.

I use a flatbed scanner for prints. A 4x6 print at a modest 1200 ppi
is a 33 Mpixel image, way more than needed for most things and plenty
of overhead for editing. No worries about setting up copy lighting,
reflections, focusing, etc.

When I use a copystand and camera, it is made perpendicular to the
base by using a hot shoe mounted two-axis bubble level. Tripods are
kinda clumsy at this job. I've shot negatives this way with the
copystand and macro lens using a flat-panel light box as a light
source, with good results. It works particularly well for some of my
ultraminiature negatives ... The L1 fitted with 1.4x teleconverter and
35 Macro can achieve a 1.4:1 magnification, which nets me a 7.5 Mpixel
image of my 8x11 mm Minox negatives. That's more data than I can get
out of a 2900 ppi film scanner ... 1.1 Mpixel ... and well worth the
fuss.
--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com