Sorry Larry, but no autofocus system will be able to guess by itself which part of the scene you want in focus.
One day you want the singer in focus, next day you want the mike in focus.
Future sytems, but not in the near future, will do this by reading your mind.
Till than its better to use manual focus.
Greetz Jos

Larry Colen wrote:
I was photographing at a friend's blues jam last night, using it as a chance to practice band photography. I decided to try using autofocus, and the handy af point selection.

Looking at the photos, almost every one focuses on the microphone instead of the musician. How about an autofocus mode where the camera looks for something to focus on a little bit behind the default? This would be handy for both musicians and birds in trees.

At the beginning of the evening, I tried a few using the strobist suggestion of putting my flash on a monopod, and that seems very promising, except for the detail that I end up short one hand, until I come up with a harness to hold the monopod or something.