On 2010-02-27 10:31 , P N Stenquist wrote:

On 2010-02-27 06:13 , paul stenquist wrote:
I think that's true, but the alternative may have been worse: a mega
Iran and a strong Soviet presence in the middle east. There's no way
to flip the switch and see what might have happened if Afghan and
Iraq hadn't had U.S. support back in the day.

so the alternative may also have been better

Of course. But if no one ever intervened, we'd all be goose stepping
today. You gotta go with your gut sometimes.

now you seem sure the alternative would have been worse