On Feb 28, 2010, at 05:37 , William Robb wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob Sullivan"
Subject: Re: UK: Photographer films his own 'anti-terror' arrest, February 2010

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 8:56 PM, William Robb <war...@gmail.com> wrote:
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, a friend of mine has been accosted by the police twice in the past year for photographing while in a wheelchair.

Well no, I believe you said in his VAN.
Van with handicapped plates, I'd wonder.
Old beater van, rusting in spots, I'd be all over it!

Relatively new van, no rust, handicapped plates, little guy with gray hair (he's 65).
But this leads to an intersting question:
Why would you be all over an old vehicle with some rust?
Are people who can't afford new cars somehow automatically second class citizens or criminals who deserve to be treated with less respect than someone who has the wherewithall and interest in buying a new car every few years?

William Robb

Wait just minute, boys. I drive an old van (mini variety) with a rusty roof and peeling paint thanks to a bad paint formula decision made some 25 years ago by some Chrysler chemist. But the engineers also made a decision to put a Mitsubishi made 3.3 liter V-6 in it that is rumored to be able to run forever with proper care. I'm not one to flaunt my feigned largess with new cars (in fact I can't afford a new anything other than food and Pentax equipment) but it does put me in a much more dim light amongst my peers. Bothers me not. My hunk of steel and plastic parts will not need to be replaced for many years to come (fingers crossed) allowing some portion of steel and oil derived plastic to remain unused in building said replacement.

I get no respect.

But I've bought enough carbon credits by now with this boat to get a new Pentax body every year for the past three, and perhaps the next three! Hoya loves me. Soon many beautiful young women will be lining up to be photographed by my elite equipment, I'm told.

So HAH!

Joseph McAllister
pentax...@mac.com

http://gallery.me.com/jomac