eckinator wrote:
2010/5/17 eckinator <eckina...@gmail.com>:
I'll post a few gear pics later today and add some explanations

Here you go now. My kit. A combination of eBay steals and I'm so happy
I finally get around to play with it extensively.

My biggest problem at this time is that framing and focus change every
time I adjust tilt, i.e. focal plane or shift, i.e. perspective
correction. Presently I have sitting on my ballhead/qr base one macro
rail which holds an L bracket with a panorama plate attached to it
which then holds the bellows. All parts are Novoflex Q quick release
so I can change the setup around as I proceed to learn. I came up with
the pano plate idea because as you can see my tripod has no center
column nor do the legs lock in every position so there is no easy on
the fly height adjustment. The combination of a rail running at an
angle with the pano plate, all parts moving also forwards and
backwards in their respective clamps, gives limited height adjustment
and at the same time lets me rotate the camera/bellows/lens assembly
to reframe after tilting.

One or actually the only weakness of the BalPro T/S is that the rear
standart doesn't move well on the carrier rail because it isn't gear
driven. Fine adjustment is simply not possibly so you have to move the
entire assembly instead and then refocus using the lens standart. My
main learning curve at this time is to observe and understand the
impact of adjustments on framing and focus. Focal plane adjustment is
pretty simple once you get the hang of it. Once back on a regular
paycheque I hope to get another rail for sideways adjustments which
would let me frame laterally without moving the tripod. Luckily that
stuff is all relatively light.

For this shot, the relatively extreme tilt angles meant I was grabbing
light close to the outer edge of the image circle of the Copal 0
diameter large format lens I was using; it has a 59° angle of view and
I was decentering by 27°. Also this means lighting falloff as the
bellows extends plus a little more for tilt. I find IQ amazing for
that and was very pleased with the viewfinder image. Focus
confirmation was only moderately helpful. I focused using my eyes and
the screen.

I have another Copal 0 lens board so I am hoping to pick up another
lens eventually. Reason: this lens lets me focus to infinity but at
that setting there is no room for tilt, only very limited shift. A
slightly longer lens would let me do that. When I picked up the
bellows, I also grabbed a Pentax 67 camera adaptor for it but got
outbid on the 67 lens board. Have yet to meet the free camera fairy
though before I can think of shooting medium format film...

Next step I'll try to find an adaptor plate that lets me put the rail
between tripod and balhead to see if that is any better for framing.
Also, the tripod has mount holes for flexible arms to which I can
attach items such as reflectors, flashes, plane indicators to get the
Scheimpflug adjustment done faster. The goal of it all is to be able
to do it faster. Once I can set it up quickly to where and what I
want, I can more easily try different angles etc. and learn how to use
the extra DOF in framing.

There is also an interesting option to be gained from inverting tilt
as well as axial roation of assembly planes vs. subject plane - you
can create a sharp wedge running across the subject at almost any
angle, I've yet to learn that but I have some pretty good instructions
=)

Cheers
Ecke

Uh oh. Get out the Dyson. My mind is blown

--

der...@iinet.net.au
http://members.iinet.net.au/~derbyc