On 5/18/2010 2:55 PM, steve harley wrote:
On 2010-05-18 09:05 , P. J. Alling wrote:
Then it's not really art, it's craft.

another problem with requiring "intent" is how does the viewer know about the intent ...

is it always obvious? is any intent sufficient? must one meet or learn about the artist as well as experience the art? what if we perceive intent where there is none? what if we perceive no intent where there is some? what about art that deliberately manipulates the perception of intent?

Like I said, even with intent, it still may not be art. If a viewer chooses to view craft as art that's their choice. If we don't perceive intent, then either we failed or the artist failed. I guess I'm self confident enough to call something crap if I think it's crap, in spite of what others may say or think. I happen to think that a lot of what's called art today is not just failure but con.

--
{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0\deflang1033{\fonttbl{\f0\fnil\fcharset0 Courier
New;}}