On Jul 13, 2010, at 9:43 PM, Eric Weir wrote:

> On Jul 13, 2010, at 7:09 PM, J.C. O'Connell wrote:
>
>> The so called "K series" lenses were the first batch of
>> lenses with the K bayonet. They are marked "SMC Pentax"
>> without any suffix. When the later M series lenses came
>> out they were labelled "smc pentax -M" and so forth
>> with the -A -F -FA -DA suffix.
>
> Ah, that clarifies it, J.C. Are such lenses still common? I don't recall
> seeing any, but just having learned how they would be identified I may simply
> not have noticed them.

The "K series" lenses are not particularly rare, because quite a few were made.
In general, they're much better build quality than the M or A series. Some are
optically superb as well, including that K 28/3.5. I sold mine to JCO a while
back. I believe the price was around $130 in an ebay auction. I still have a K
series 85/1.8, and it's a truly superb lens.
Paul