The way Lightroom (LR) works is that for existing files, you tell it
where the files are and it scans them and adds the files to it's
database.  Any keyword tagging, and edits that you make to the
pictures are stored in the database.  You don't deal directly with the
RAW files after you import them into LR.  The folders aren't for
backup, they contain the actual files.

When you make edits, LR doesn't write anything to the source files,
and no files are created until you export.  You still need the source
files, and if you delete them, LR won't be able to work with the
picture.

As for organization, you can let LR handle it, or you can organize the
files yourself, or anywhere in between.  When I import pictures, LR
puts the files on my HDD by date and I process and tag them.  After
I've got them how I like them, I move them (inside LR) to different
folders based on subject matter.  I do this because that's how I like
to do it.

You don't need to buy LR right away, Adobe has a 30 trial for LR so
you can see if you like it before buying.  I'd recommend doing that if
you aren't sure.

--
Aloha Photographer Photoblog
http://alohaphotog.blogspot.com/