I live in an area that was last hit by a serious quake in 1812 -- a series of three over the course of four months, estimated to be around 8.0 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Madrid_Seismic_Zone). They've been saying we're overdue for about 50 years now ... not the most comforting thought, considering the area is not anywhere near as prepared -- building or infrastructure-wise -- as Christchurch appears to be.

I've felt a couple of tremors in the past -- around the size of your aftershocks listed below. They're startling, but don't leave you with the sense of dread/terror that a 7+ quake will. I certainly don't look forward to the day when the "big one" finally happens. And, sadly enough, I'm in no way prepared for it.

Hope things settle down for you folks, soon. I'm sure the psychological aftershocks will go on for a while after the geological ones finally fade. Just hang in there.

Best,

Walt