It's amazing how little I have heard about all of this here. The pictures are
amazing and horrifying. The railroad track shot really struck me for some
reason.
-----Original Message-----
From: David Mann <d...@multisport.net.nz>
Sender: pdml-boun...@pdml.net
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 12:54:59
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List<pdml@pdml.net>
Subject: Re: More quake photos

On Sep 8, 2010, at 12:16 PM, Walter Gilbert wrote:

> I live in an area that was last hit by a serious quake in 1812 -- a series of
> three over the course of four months, estimated to be around 8.0
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Madrid_Seismic_Zone).  They've been saying
> we're overdue for about 50 years now ... not the most comforting thought,
> considering the area is not anywhere near as prepared -- building or
> infrastructure-wise -- as Christchurch appears to be.

We're "about due" for something in the 8+ region from the main alpine fault
which cuts down through the length of the South Island.  There was a 7.8 down
in Fiordland last year but it's an unpopulated area and the nature of the quake
meant the energy was released slowly and largely focussed offshore.

The alpine fault is a bit further away from here and a quake centered there is
likely to be a lot deeper so the shaking might not be much different from our
7.1, but it'd probably go on for a lot longer.

Dave