On Oct 1, 2010, at 13:26 , Joseph McAllister wrote:

The copyright symbol in the center floor hides the camera and mirrored parabolic tripod mounted device that allows this image to be made in two exposures, stitched at camera level.

However, that's not the way it was done, if a bit of research is correct. According to the Spinatour website "thousands of photos were taken" over a period of three freezing nights and stitched together after color and light balancing.

See the article at:  http://spinatour.com/?p=35

Apparently, to enable zooming, they had to match hi-res images in several stages to the overall stitched image. Also apparently the camera(s) were located beneath the covering copyright symbol. Those taking the picture were Vatican interns from Villanova.

Here is an outdoor image taken with the system, and it includes the camera and tripod: http://www.spinatour.com/clemsonamrl/tour.html

An interior shot, with one scan being done in each room of Clemson's Telecom Center.

And no link to it...     http://www.spinatour.com/sys/scansource/tour.html

Took me quite some time to find the speakers, which are painted to blend. But I did find many places where the restoration left untouched, plus hooks driven into the walls, etc. Nice and rare as it is, the chapel is still a working place of worship to the church.

One of the articles I read today mentioned that the chapel art was degrading at a pace that makes those in charge feel that it must be closed to the public soon.

Thanks Cotty, for helping to enlighten us all.

Joseph McAllister
Pentaxian

http://gallery.me.com/jomac