From: Boris Liberman
On 10/3/2010 6:41 PM, P. J. Alling wrote:
> The discussion seems to have become about Pentax, or any other
> manufacturer for that matter, unilaterally extending warranty on product
> with a /very/ large number of defective samples. The contract on the
> card is no longer in question. Pentax has been honoring that. It's
> really become a question of how much is the customers good will worth.
> I'd really like to get a DA 17-70mm. But from all accounts that
> particular lens is poorly designed from a manual focusing standpoint,
> making reliable auto focus a must. The SDM controversy just becomes one
> more reason for my money to stay in my pocket.
Peter, since you're talking about post-warranty period and substantial
number of defective units, I wonder, what would have to happen for
Pentax to be legally forced to admit that they "dropped an egg" like
Bill Robb keeps saying???

It varies by jurisdiction depending on consumer protection laws, but Pentax cannot afford for it to get to that point. Pentax has always had a reputation for quality and good value for the money. If they lose that reputation, and that is a real possible consequence of not adequately addressing perceptions about SDM reliability - doesn't matter if they're real or imagined - they're in trouble.

If Pentax's customers lose the perception that Pentax offers superior value, they will no longer be Pentax's customers.