From: "John Celio"
I noticed something recently: there is not *nearly* as much discussion
of new Pentax cameras as there was just a few years ago here.  I
remember threads going for weeks when new products were announced, but
that seems to have been reduced to days or even hours sometimes.  It got
me wondering:

Are we generally happy enough with current cameras that new models
aren't worth getting excited about?  Has the dSLR market reached a point
where new models are pretty much more of the same, with few real
innovations appearing with each new model, and thus don't warrant much
discussion?

Or are we all just holding our tongues until Pentax comes out with with
either a 35mm-sensor'd or mirrorless body?  These two camera categories
seem to elicit the greatest response these days, even though we're
invariably talking about other brands and wishing out loud.

Just some things I've been wondering about.

I don't know.

IIRC, I got back into 35mm with an A3000 sometime in the mid-80s. I went from that to a Super Program in just a few months.

Added a K1000 probably around a year later, and an LX maybe a year after that.

Resisted auto-focus until I bought a PZ-1P in 2003, *ist-D in 2004, K10D in 2006. I was going to skip the K20D, figuring to sit it out until something better than the K-7 came along, but I got a deal on a used K20D in 2010 that was just too good to pass up.

Now, I don't expect to buy another body until I get to the point where I need more than the K20D can deliver, and right now that day ain't anywhere on the horizon.

Unless/until Pentax does bring out a "full-frame" DSLR I can afford or I get to the point where I think I can afford a 645D.

(where afford == I think I can make money with it).

Or maybe at some point a used K-5 will show up at a price point I just can't refuse ...

But for now the K-7 & K-5 (K-x, K-r ... K-whatever) don't offer enough extra bang for the buck to prompt me to fit an upgrade into my budget.

I am still looking around for some good fast auto-focus primes to fill some gaps in my arsenal - but not looking real hard. And I'd really like to find a good, fast, constant aperture zoom in the 28-105 range, but I don't think anyone makes or ever made one in Pentax mount.

In the meantime I'll continue to rely on my 28-70f/2.8 for my workhorse. And for now, I'm certainly not buying any more glass that won't cover a 24mmx36mm frame without vignetting.

On top of all that, I'm retired on a fixed income that's fixed a little lower than I'm happy with. If I got to make a choice between eating and gear acquisition, I think I have enough will-power to do the right thing.