This is a bit of a ridiculous discussion, if we equate it to film days...
Let's imagine a set of photographers (let's say they shoot for
National Geographic) who swear by Kodachrome 25. If Kodak or a
competitor came out with a film that gave them Results
Indistinguishable from Kodachrome 25 - but at an ISO of 400 do you
think there would be anybody going off to shoot in the rain forest
that would rather shoot Kodachrome 25 with the camera on a tripod over
the mobility of a handheld shot at ISO 400? Not unless they are
irrational.

On a DSLR, you can change ISOs, but you can't change the "film"
because it is the sensor. The sensor determines the amount and quality
of information in the RAW file. or the amount/quality of information
being fed to the algorithms.

I don't think it is overstating the case to say that The Most
Important design decision that Hoya/Pentax has made was abandoning the
Samsung sensor for the Sony Exmor. Even today, I'd put the K-x up
against any other manufacturer's "entry level" camera of comparable
price. And it's looking like I would be glad to put the K5 up against
any other manufacturer's APC-S "flagship".

Darren Addy
Kearney, Nebraska