Later in the thread (http://photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00WXvS?start=10), though, they mention that the converter is "super crude" -- whatever that means.

Idunno. I'm in the process of downloading a trial version of Elements 9 and will tinker around with it for 30 days, or so. If I like it and have the extra cash to spend on it, I'll go ahead and register it. If not, I'll use a freeware, or cheap & dirty alternative.

-- Walt

On 11/26/2010 7:00 PM, John Sessoms wrote:
From: Walter Gilbert

    Thanks!  Although, to my infinite consternation, I've discovered
there's no way to get Photoshop 7 to handle DNG files, and I can't
afford to plunk down the requisite cash for any of the more recent Adobo
releases.  They're a tad spendy.

Picasa 3 will handle them, of course, but then I'm stuck with some
pretty limited options with regard to editing.  I suppose I could use
Picasa to export them in .jpg format, but I wonder how much I'll be
giving up by using it to do the conversion.

Any (extremely affordable) suggestions?

There's something very wrong here.

I bought Photoshop 7 and installed it on my laptop while I was in Iraq, and I know that I downloaded the free stand-alone DNG converter when Adobe announced it and used it with Photoshop 7.

Prior to getting Photoshop 7 and installing the stand-alone DNG converter, I was using the Pentax software that came with the *ist-D.

I probably didn't shoot more than a half dozen raw images with the *ist-D while I was deployed (shot mostly TIFF & JPEG) so I'm pretty hazy about how i used the DNG converter, but I remember it being announced.

I remember downloading and installing it and giving it a try.