From: Charles Robinson

On Dec 9, 2010, at 14:55, Matthew Hunt wrote:

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 3:51 PM, Charles Robinson
<charl...@visi.com> wrote:
On Dec 8, 2010, at 19:47, John Sessoms wrote:

Everyone keeps telling me how much better Mac is than
windoze, but they can't figure out something as simple as
how to store a "not to do anything" instruction on a hard
drive, and Micro$soft can?

If you read Mr. McAllister's post, he makes it clear that the
reason Time Machine keeps fussing is that it is configured to
run (ie, it is ENABLED) but has never been told what drive to
back up to.

If you read Mr. Sessom's post, he says "The computer belongs to
the school, and I'm not allowed to change any of the settings on
the computer." So telling him to change settings on the computer
is not likely to help.

Sounds like he needs to talk to his IT department then.  Or go all
techno with writing that "do not use me for Time Machine" file onto
each and every external drive he plans to use...  "Standard" users on
a Mac do not have the option to disable Time Machine.

Already talked to the "IT department" months ago. He happened to be in the lab one day while I was working on an assignment, and he was absolutely no help.

So what I'm going to do is see if the suggested "do not use me for Time Machine" file will work.

I only have the one drive right now, but if the file does work, and I ever need another Mac formatted hard drive, I'll do it for that one too.

I don't really want to "disable" Time Machine, I just want it to leave me alone.

I'm perfectly happy for the school to use Time Machine for backup if they want to, but they don't need to be using my hard drive to do it.