On Dec 8, 2010, at 12:46 AM, John Sessoms wrote:

> OTOH, Time Machine ... not having any way to turn it off so it won't bug me
> "Do you want to use 'LaCie' to back up your hard drive?" every time I plug it
> into the school's computer.
>
> If the school wants the computer backed up let 'em buy their own damn drives.
> All I want to do is save my school work.
>
> If the program was worth a damn, you could tell it NO one time and tell it
> not to ever ask you about it again.
>
> Windoze can do that, why can't Mac?

Try this. Create a file called '.com.apple.timemachine.donotpresent' at the
root of your portable drive. You might find it easier to do this with the
Terminal using the following command.

touch "/Volumes/The Name of Your Drive/.com.apple.timemachine.donotpresent"

I am pretty sure I have see the option to never use a drive in the Time Machine
UI but perhaps something is amiss for you.

--
Matthew