I find the left's enthusiasm for wikileaks to be rather simplistic.

Privacy is necessary in personal life, in business dealings, and -- yes -- in
government as well. Government officials have to be able to correspond in
confidence at times. Strategies to defend against terrorism have to remain
confidential. And don't forget that wikileaks released the names of Afthan
citizens who had tried to help defeat the Taliban, putting them in grave
danger. Even Assange's cohorts said that action was despicable.

Earlier, someone said it's only the U.S. that has a problem with wikileaks .
That's not at all true. Almost all European nations have spoken out against the
groups actions. There are government officials both in the U.S. and other
countries who have and will violate the people's trust. But when exposing the
few puts the many at risk, it's a bad deal.

If wikileaks has accomplished anything good, it would be that it has led the
government to tighten security. The U.S. serviceman who provided much of the
classified information that was released will spend most of his life in jail.
That will undoubtedly prove to be a deterrent to others. And access to
classified information will undoubtedly be more restricted than it has been.

Paul

Paul