On 3/20/2011 2:39 PM, Tim Øsleby wrote:
The combo seems to front focus a lot in the studio. In fluorescent
it is hit and miss. Improves in halogen light, but I can't really
trust it. It seem to do ok in daylight. I'm assuming that in house
AF-adjustments is not the way to go. That it will be useless outdoor
if I corrects it for indoor light. Am I right about this?

FA* 85 is mostly spot on. So I'm blaming the DA* 16-50.

What do you think guys? Should I use the situation as an excuse for
an enablement?

My eyes are not up to critical manual focus indoor. Should I look
for another lens to use in the studio? Tamron 28-75/2,8 could be the
lens I need. Also musing at 35mm 2,8 Ltd, but I end up regretting
not buying a faster 35mm.

Tim, I am thinking these thoughts:

* Why don't you get yourself a magnifying eye cap and a split screen focusing screen? It is going to be way less than buying a new camera. Provided you're happy with what your K20D produces when you and it hit it together.

* May be you could simply bring/send the camera and the lens to local Pentax repair center for calibration? By "local" I mean mostly "European" as my understanding is that the guys in Oslo don't do gear repair like they used to several years ago. I may be off the mark here, but you and Jostein would know better, of course.

* I would recommend against Tamron 28-75/2.8. Well, let me soften it a bit - I wouldn't recommend for it. I've a friend who uses it on Canon 50D and gets excellent results. But he is very masterful in post. I find that Tamron 28-75 is more prone to nervous OOF rendering than Sigma 24-60/2.8 that has become my zoom lens of choice as of recently. I cannot possibly know if it at all makes sense to suggest that you use primes instead of zooms in your studio, given that you practically control everything.

Boris