On Mar 20, 2011, at 5:52 AM, Boris Liberman wrote:

> On 3/20/2011 2:48 PM, Larry Colen wrote:
>> I'm very intrigued by the 28-75 myself, it's a range that I find
>> myself needing a lot.  How sharp is it?  My two zooms are the 18-250
>> and the 16-50, how would it compare with them?
>
> My copy is very sharp. Easily as sharp as Pentax primes, such as 35/2.8 or
> 50/1.7 or whatever non-limited primes that I (used to have) had. I think that
> limited lenses outdo it a bit in other aspects of the rendering, but for all
> practical purposes I treat(ed) my copy as set of primes in one barrel. My
> only issue with this lens is like I wrote just a moment ago to Tim - somewhat
> nervous OOF rendering. Not always, mind you, just sometimes, but I hadn't
> manage to learn when it decides to go nervous.

Interesting.  That is my biggest complaint with my bigma, that I don't like the
bokeh.

Until my finances settle a bit, or I've got a big chunk of income depending on
a good zoom in that range, the situation is pretty well moot.   But, it's fun
to think about.

Photographing aikido, I find myself often needing a bit more length than my
16-50 will provide, but often need wider than 50.  On the K-x I'm pushing the
sensor hard enough to get the 1/80th or faster shutter speeds, at least at
night, that I lose noticeable sharpness when I crop to zoom.

I find that I prefer photographing musicians framed in close on their face.  My
77 is usually pretty good for that, but there are a lot of times it would be
nice to go a bit wider, and occasionally, I'd like a bit longer.  Either the
28-75 or the 50-135 would be a good range for me to use in band photography,
though the backgrounds can be a lot harder to control at a dive bar, so good
bokeh is probably a lot more critical.

I could probably use a lens as slow as 3.5 or 4, but wouldn't want to go much
slower than that.

At this point, I might as well consider using the 16-50 on one K-5, and buying
a second K-5 and 50-135 to get the range I need, or ask what zooms work well on
the 645D, because it's not like I can afford those either.