On 3/20/2011 3:03 PM, Larry Colen wrote:
Interesting.  That is my biggest complaint with my bigma, that I
don't like the bokeh.

It is my present belief (as in 'loosely proven by minimal personal experience') that zooms don't have bokeh as good as primes which has to do with the fact of life that normally high quality zooms have often almost twice as many optical elements as primes. Given most modern trend of optical stabilization in 3rd party offerings it is even more true than ever.

To that end Sigma 24-60 has somewhat better bokeh than Tamron 28-75. It is even more surprising given that Sigma is wider and wide lenses have hard time dealing with OOF rendering.

However Sigma has another quality that Tamron does not. Even at apertures as small as 5.6 and 8 sometimes the image glows very much like the glow of the soft lens. The effect is more pronounced at f/2.8 but it cannot possibly be said that the lens is unusable or soft wide open.

So, with Tamron I had a bit of a gamble with OOF rendering being nervous. With Sigma I gamble on the glowing image. But if hits it, it hits big, bigger than Tamron - sharp, nice OOF rendering, very good overall IQ.

All of the above is spoken based on just two samples and just one photographer.

Boris